Sunday, March 27, 2011

Our own Charlotte

Yesterday, my husband and I took advantage of a lovely Spring day, getting the front garden in order (no small task), getting the automatic sprinklers in tip-top shape, and basically sweating our tails off (it was in the upper 80s).  As I brought up in an earlier post, my husband comes across skulls from time to time as he roams the woods throughout the area.  He currently has a wild dog skull sitting outside on the porch letting the sun bleach it a little more before it is added to his curio cabinet.  While I was working in the garden, I caught a little jumping spider meandering throughout the skull, and it was calm enough to stop and pose for some pictures.




I was not brave (crazy) enough to take a picture of the red wasp investigating the skull.

We are mostly finished with the front garden - hopefully all of the new plants grow.  I planted a peony, two camellias, petunias,  Mexican heather, lavender, basil, oregano, and snapdragons. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't like spiders - but this one is actually quite cute! How polite of it to pose for you!

    I'm working on my garden at the moment too - the work never seems to end. Once you start one thing, you want to do something else! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big spider fan either. My husband, on the other hand, is an arachnophile if there is such a thing! He loves, loves, loves insects and spiders. I get the general heebie-jeebies around them, and even typing about them makes a little shudder run through me (seriously!). But, during our college days when he was taking entomology and arachnology, I learned to ignore the heebie-jeebies (kind of) and catch the random bug for him at my dorm when I could.

    He has taught me a little about spiders and I knew enough to know that this little guy was not out to get me. Otherwise, I would have been a good ten feet from him! It helps to have a good zoom on the lens, too! :)

    ReplyDelete