Sunday, April 14, 2013

Of lambs and farm boys and leaps into the unknown

It's Sunday evening here and the sun is sinking below the trees. It's been a good weekend, full of new work and new ideas for the shop.  There are some weekends that, when Sunday evening comes around, I wonder where time went.  This was one of those weekends.  It's not a bad feeling, not at all, but I do wish that weekends could be extended during those times that I am on a roll.  Time doesn't work that way though, so I will just be happy with all that I have done since Friday night and hope that next weekend will be just as productive.

If you have been following along with me lately, you may know that I am starting to offer prints in my shop.  Up until this weekend, the only prints I have listed have been of my handcarved designs, the owl and the fox.  I am very proud of these two prints.  They have been in the works for such a long time and I am happy to finally have them available in my shop.  This weekend I took another leap, a much scarier leap if you want to know the truth.  I am slowly starting to introduce prints of my watercolor and pen illustrations to the shop.  This is all new for me.  And why is this scary?  To be honest, it was scary to offer my handcarved designs so I think it is mainly the unknown that worries me.  Will people like the prints?  How will my work compare to the work of so many talented artists out there?  I could keep going, but mainly it is a matter of confidence. In the end, I decided to just make the leap and see what happens.  So...here goes!


Spring Lamb
This little lamb was my first illustration to list this weekend.  Who couldn't love the sweet face of a little lamb?  I kept it simple for this illustration so that it is the tender face of the lamb that hooks you.




Farm Boy
One of my favorite books off all time is The Grapes of Wrath. Following the Joads as they travel from the Dust Bowl in Oklahoma to California during the Great Depression, I couldn't help but feel that the characters were real. Looking back on photos of that time period, I am always captivated by the looks of determination and hope in so many of these brave folks who were forced to leave the land they love in search of a better life. I can't help but wonder about the fate of the people captured in these photos, and always hope that the life they sought was waiting for them. These are the people and the time period that this illustration drew inspiration from.

***

And there you are.  More work will be coming soon.  And I hope that you all like what is listed so far, of course!  :)

Subtle Acts © All rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment